Are you always on the lookout for nutrient dense and calorie light lunch ideas? I know I am, and, in addition to it being light and healthy, I also want it to be quick and convenient. That’s not too much to ask from a lunch, is it? Anyway, I love when I come up with new ideas to add to my lunch rotation, and what’s the fun of having a great new idea if you can’t share it with your fit friends??
¼ C of uncooked quinoa
½ bag of Trader Joe’s “Cruciferous Crunch” salad mix (I’ve heard that they have a similar mixture of kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and green & red cabbage at Costco and Vons as well)
1tsp Dijon mustard
1tsp extra virgin olive oil
1tbsp dried cranberries
1tbsp slivered almonds
Goat cheese crumbles
Sliced cooked chicken breast
1. Prepare quinoa with ½C water according to package instructions
2. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, Dijon, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste
3. Pour salad mixture into a medium skillet over med-high heat, pour lemon dressing over the top, and toss together for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture is coated and just begins to wilt. The kale should turn a bright shade of green.
4. Turn off the heat, and add in your cooked quinoa, dried cranberries, and slivered almonds. Toss until combined.
5. Place in a bowl, top with optional toppings if desired
This salad is light, fresh, and FULL of fiber and nutrients. It also takes no more than 10 minutes to prepare. Now THAT is my kind of lunch! Enjoy!